Thursday, July 24, 2008

What I saw last night


After the Wednesday night prayer meeting at my sisters house, she and I went to JoAnn's to look at fabric for curtains. We got home a little after 9pm, we hugged and I walked to my car which was parked on the side of the road. A big fluffy, beautiful black and white cat was sniffing around my car, I turned to say something to my sister and in that second, a car going 40 m/h in a 25, residential road hit the cat. The car didn't slow down or even hesitate. I ran inside to get help and on my way back I picked up a big stick, as if I was going to stand in the middle of the road, in the dark to protect the cat.
My sister stood next to me and I held my breath as I gently poked the cat, hoping with all I had the she would move or faintly meow. She didn't. She was dead. Her big furry body laid motionless in a spreading pool of crimson blood. I held the flashlight as Andi pushed the cat into a small cardboard box, then closed the lid.
I knew the cat. She had just given birth to a cuddly litter of kittens.
I went home, with pregnancy hormones raging and I held our cat, Finnegan, tighter then he would perhaps had liked.

No comments: