Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Oregon Trail

My in-laws were able to visit us from their home in Phelan. Aaron's dad has never had the opportunity to meet Ava in person but thanks to Skype, he's been able to see her and spend some time with us. It was so nice to be able to spend this time with mom and dad. After dad had to leave and get back home for work, mom stayed a few days longer and had planned to drive up to Reedsport, Oregon to visit Katie (Aaron's sister) and her family. This time, I was able to go as well. Since I found out that my family and I were not invited to my nieces' joint birthday party, I was more than relieved to get out of town, make that, out of state to remove myself from a painful situation. Mom, Ava and I left for Oregon on Tuesday, with the plan that Aaron would follow on Friday after work, driving moms car up since she would stay a bit longer. The originally 7 hour trip was stretched with a more than fussy Ava almost immediately upon entering Oregon. We left Chico about 12:30 in the afternoon and rolled into Reedsport close to 11pm. Thanks to Dutch Bros., I was still able to keep my eyes open long enough to set up Ava's Play Pen and inflate my air mattress. By Wednesday, Ava and I were on the phone crying to Aaron. I needed my husband and Ava needed her daddy. His boss was more than understanding and sent Aaron on his way to be with us. The trip was wonderful and God supplied us with a very reasonably-priced motel room not more then 3 minutes away from Katie and Danny's place. Since they have five kids and a three bedroom home, with mom staying with them, we thought it would be better if we got the room down the street. I was amazed we were able to get a good deal, let alone a room at all since it was Dune Fest. We had so much fun! We saw the Elk sanctuary, the Lighthouse, peeked at Dune Fest, got coffee almost everyday at Reedsport Coffee house (the closest Dutch Bros. was an hour away). We went to the beach on Friday, providentially, Danny had the day off so it was the Murrays and the Lords, five adults, six kids the oldest being 11 years and the youngest almost 7 months. On the way to the beach, we bought local raspberry flavored honey at Danny's parents little shop, on the way back, the three of us ate at the neatest restaurant and visited a few little gift shops and tasted some of the best fudge! The Oregon coast is so very beautiful! I had only previously briefly introduced myself to my new sister at our wedding, so this was our first time we were able to spend with each other and hang out like sisters. Ava loved being with her auntie and cousins, she was a little hesitant at first since she wasn't used to being around five kids who all wanted to hug on her and play with her. I think it also might have been Gracie's first time having her mommy hold a baby who wasn't herself.





















No comments: