Sunday, May 24, 2009

My Day

I graduated on Saturday, May 23rd. I had not been able to sleep the night before. I think it was a mixture of Christmas Eve Syndrome and last minute details that kept me lying awake. I slept for almost two full hours before our alarm went off at 5:00. We got ready, got coffee and found a great parking spot, which is almost unheard of.
The weather was beautiful and the ceremony went surprisingly fast. It was so amazing to look over and find my husband in a whole crowd of people, smiling and looking so proud of me. I'm not used to seeing that look on peoples faces, let alone on the people closest to me. My dad was so happy. He said that I had done three exceedingly good things in my life: I got married, had a baby and now graduated from Chico State. At my parents house, after lunch we had cake and champagne. My dad's toast was simple and sweet, he said " She finally did something I asked her to do!" He then thanked my husband for keeping his word in promising to help me finish school.
The afternoon was full of surprise and emotion. My grandma gave me the diamond and ruby wedding ring my grandpa had given to her. so we stood, me, my mom and grandma hugging and crying. I wish he were still here. There has been so much I would like to have shared with him. My grandma pointed out, I am the only one in our family to graduate from a University. My mom's a nurse and I have the education and degrees to be a teacher, but for now, I think I'm going to work on growing my family.

No comments: