Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Cake Decorating 101

Today was the last day of our cake decorating class. For the final class, we constructed a tier cake. My husband had bought me the most spectacular cake decorating book, so I had the book knowledge of how to construct one. It was so amazing to see the cake in the individual parts then as a whole! But I think the best part of today was watching my mom create her beautiful Victorian style cake. She spent time before hand making a lot of different color roses and even my favorite, a pansy. She also made tons and tons of icing! Ava and I went over to her house a few hours before class so I could finish frosting my individual cakes. I didn't have a 6in pan, so I crudely constructed one out of a disposable heavy-duty foil container, needless to say, my cake was over run with crumbs since I had to cut the sides of the cake down. When we started the class, I had made the decision to just focus on the decorating. I had perfected the ultimate chocolate cake and filling recipe, so I decided to go against my ideals and use those box cake mixes for each class. I can't believe how painful that was to admit! I thought that it would cut down baking time, save my arm and make it so I could spend more time decorating. Thus, extra crumbs.





Oh, yeah, here's my cake. My mom made me the butterfly. Isn't she incredibly talented?


3 comments:

pinamarie said...

I am so jealous. I really want to take a cake decorating class! Those look really amazing. Are all of the flowers on your mom's cake made of icing? Because the darker pink ones on top look real!

Laurie M. said...

Awesome cakes! Great job, both of you.

Ashley said...

Those are beautiful!